Prairie Valley ISD
PRAIRIE VALLEY never had a post office, but it is one of the largest consolidated Independent School Districts of this area.
According to school records, the forerunner schools of the present PRAIRIE VALLEY District go back as far as 1876.
This first school was known as the ONE-HUNDRED ACRE PRAIRIE, NO. 39. It was consolidated with SPANISH FORT in 1919. In 1876, the RED RIVER STATION SCHOOL was located on the present Crenshaw Ranch, west of PRAIRIE VALLEY. In 1889, the MARCH SCHOOL, also known as RIVER VALLEY, was located where Raymond Tuckerâs home place is located. The PRAIRIE MOUND SCHOOL was established in 1892 near the area that was later known as the Meekins Store. A school called GRAYSON was located on the Ed Hinton land. There were two EAGLE POINT SCHOOLS. One was located between Sam Youngâs and the Alcorn Creek Bridge; the other was where the PRAIRIE VALLEY SCHOOL is now located PRAIRIE VIEW was located south and east of Newell Cunninghamâs and was established about 1920.
The following schools formed PRAIRIE POINT: EAGLE POINT NO. 1 and NO. 2, SALMON, PRAIRIE MOUND, PRAIRIE VIEW, GRAYSON, WALSER, WHITE & PRIDDY, WALNUT SPRINGS, and GIST SCHOOL. ROLAND and MARCH SCHOOLS consolidated in 1919 to make VALLEY VIEW.
Schools that came into SPANISH FORT, which was established in 1877, were: BURROUGH OAK, and LIBERTY CHAPPELL.
In 1940, VALLEY VIEW consolidated with PRAIRIE POINT, to form the PRAIRIE VALLEY SCHOOL. The new school took PRAIRIE POINTâS school colors of blue and gold, and VALLEY VIEWâS mascot, the bulldog.
The SHADY GROVE SCHOOL came into the PRAIRIE VALLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT, and the SPANISH FORT High School students came in 1940; the district was annexed to the school in 1951.